Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?
- As one would expect from a Superman comic of that era, the writing and plot is unforgivably cheesy and references other ridiculous Superman villains, heroes and plot points. But considering I was expecting this level of storytelling, it's not something all together awful. It's entertaining in it's own right, if a little boring to follow. Superman was always so hard to invest myself in, as he's always felt like more of a place holder for a personality covered in layers of heroism. I don't know what is being talked about most of the time, or who any of the characters are beyond the big three (Lois, Superman, Lex) but the art is pretty consistently well drawn, and the composition of the panels is usually interesting enough. Without the context of the comics that came before this, I don't feel I can appropriately react to any of this.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect.
- It was a pretty passive reading experience in general. As I said before, I don't care about Superman and I don't know any of the characters, so any of the myriad of (frankly hilarious) deaths or dramatic character moments were just things I read and moved on from. That's kind of the point of Superman's character, as far as I can tell. He's not meant to be relatable, at all, because he's so perfect and has every power the writers could think of with so few weaknesses. So I didn't connect with the story.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? what changes would you make?
- I suppose film, since it's too short to be a TV show and it's already on paper so making it a book would just be confusing considering the visuals are so crazy sometimes. One of my first changes would be to cut out about 90% of the villains. They're essentially all superfluous and don't do anything to further the plot besides being there, and cutting them out would make for a more focused narrative that you'd have time to actually dwell on instead of jumping from scene to scene so quickly that you feel like you're reading through 2 minute skits of scenes. I certainly wouldn't have brought this goofy magician into this, as the beginning mastermind, was much more convincing and interesting to watch.

Comments

Popular Posts