It Hurts Me to Type "Manga" and "Anime"

I don't get either, and I never will.

It's practically a cliche at this point for young (especially Western) artists to start out emulating anime/manga in their art, and creating not only poor quality, lazy work, but harming themselves as future artists. If you take any figure drawing class, you'll definitely hear "Don't try to do anything that looks like cartoons or anime in here" and you have to actively unlearn what watching and drawing anime has taught you. I witnessed a good number of people who never could unlearn it, and, as a result, became poorer artists with less range as a result.

From other standpoints, it is relatively harmless. It has its over indulgers, as everything does, to the point where the nerd who loves anime and surrounds himself with body pillows of his "waifus" is a cliche of its own. It can also be extremely well done and interesting to watch and examine when the art is at its finest. The direction and panel use in manga is something that this particular style of comic usually leads the way in, experimentation wise, and the storytelling can become something of another level.

I read part of Ranma, and it didn't do much to change my opinions on anime as a whole. The only pages I really found myself taking interest in were ones with a sort of ink washed look, where you could see that the artist did have skill beyond over simplistic shapes that, quite often, make it hard for me to even tell the characters apart. The story was downright confusing in some parts, and I found myself having to struggle just to pay attention because I was so bored by most of the visuals.

It's all a matter of taste, and I accepted a long while ago this sort of art wasn't for me, but I accept that it has had an impact on art as a whole and is important for that matter.


Comments

Popular Posts